Traveling is the best thing that ever happened to me. The world is a big and beautiful place. I could have never imagined how much I will learn about the world and more importantly, about myself while traveling. It made me who I am and it always encourages me to be better. However, everything has its price. Traveling, moving from one place to the other, makes us say goodbye to people we love much more often than we ever would ever like to admit.
I never liked goodbyes. I think it is especially hard for the traveling girls. We get easily attached to people we like. And the thought of never seeing them breaks the heart. I always try to avoid goodbyes. Just leave without saying anything. But then not everyone understands this choice. People who never had to say goodbye so often consider leaving without one to be rude. So I found another way 🙂 I always say that it is not a goodbye. I always say: see you! Sometime. Somewhere. Or: see you when I see you.
I know it is a bit of tricking myself, because most of the time, you don’t even have a plan to come back to the same place. However, imagining that you will accidentally meet this person few years/few months from now, always makes it better. After all, a bit of neuro-linguistic programming never harmed anyone. Attract what you expect, reflect what you desire, become what you respect, mirror what you admire, right?
And sometimes it works 🙂 I haven’t seen one of my best friends for 7 years. I used to think about her and all our fun experiences when we went together to school and feel a bit sad. We never said goodbye to each other, just distance and different ways of lives made us drift apart. But when she wrote me a message that she will be visiting my town, I jumped right in. Meeting felt like those 7 years never passed by. And that was the most amazing feeling that you can get.
So I guess, yes, saying goodbye to people you love because you are off to new adventure, can be hard. But when you meet them again and understand that love and respect you felt for each other is still there, the feeling is inspiring. And people who are meant to be in your life will always eventually gravitate back to you. Don’t worry, you can’t lose them 🙂
Few more tips to make leaving someplace easier:
– organise a girls sleepover and go through your clothes. Play girly music and try those clothes! Give away the clothes and things you will not need in your trip to your girls friends. That will make memories to remember. Moreover, your friends will always remember you when they wear those clothes.
– even if you are far away from each other, share the essential things that are happening in your life.
– if you have opportunity, take short trips to see each other.
– don’t expect that their life will stay the same without you. You are changing, so are they. Accept it. Be curious about it.
– doesn’t matter the distance, if your friend needs help, do everything in your power to help. Only in situations like that you see who really cares about you. No matter the distance.